<VV> Problem with 1961 Powerglide shifting into reverse

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Apr 4 07:47:37 EDT 2006

This is a fairly common problem with PG transmissions... Larry Claypool
(www.vairshop.com) recommends a certain auto trans fluid additive that
helps swell the leaking internal seal... sorry can't recall the specific
brand now... might want to drop him a line. Some folks live with this
for a LONG time without the problem getting worse (and with the trans
always eventually getting reverse) but in some cases (like mine) the
problem got progressively worse until it wouldn't engage at all. Repair
is difficult enough that replacing the trans might be an easier option...

Bill