<VV> Convention Location

Pleau, Dennis E dennis.e.pleau at intel.com
Wed Apr 5 09:50:59 EDT 2006

As one of the BoD members who voted for Detroit over Cedar Rapids, I'll
give you my reasoning and it has to do with Corvairs and cars in
general.  Detroit has a lot of automotive history.  We should get a tour
of the GM Heritage center, the Ypsilanti museum which contains the CPF
displays (which I have donated to but never seen), probably an
automobile assembly plant, Willow Run is there also.  Just to much
automotive stuff to turn down.  I've never been on a tour at a
convention other than a couple of "Tuna Boat" rides.  I will be going on
tours in Detroit.

Cedar Rapids made an outstanding bid, it they hadn't been up against
Detroit, I think they would have got the convention.  I went to their
Mini and had a great time.  I hope they bid again.

Dennis Pleau

Western Division Director

From: "Dave Keillor" <dkeillor at tconcepts.com>

Subject: RE: <VV> ConventionLocation

My feelings about conventions are much the same as yours -- it's about

the cars and the people.  Yes, there may be family members who are not

into the cars, but is a tourist destination really necessary?

If I'm not mistaken, Cedar Rapids, Iowa was the runner-up to Detroit,

but lost the bid because Iowah is not considered a tourist destination.

Last year my wife and I attended both the Iowa mini and the Nova

National convention in Cedar Rapids (same hotel, one month apart).

Although Cedar Rapids may not be a big-name tourist destination, there

were lots of non-car related things to do -- the Amana Colonies, for

example.

Personally, I find the more obscure locations more interesting than the

big-name tourist spots.  Cedar Rapids is a good size city, but travel a

few miles outside and you're in rural Iowa with small town cafes and

occasional antique stores.  I'm not suggesting having conventions in

Iowa, just pointing out that the big-name destination ain't the only

option.

Dave Keillor

Dennis Pleau

Fab 23 Integration