<VV> Convention Purpose

Jack Pinard corvairjack at verizon.net
Wed Apr 5 14:44:53 EDT 2006

I assert what is needed is to define, or redefine, the purpose of a Corsa convention.
  Recent comments suggest that the purpose is obscure or unknown.
  My observations of three conventions is that while trying to please everyone with social functions the real business of Corsa is ignored.
  The purpose of Corsa should be Preservation and Promotion of Corvairs as a viable classic collectible.
  The convention should be the highlight and focal point of the year's activities in achieving results and setting of goals.
  The agenda at Portland did not even give lip service to these items.
  More time was devoted at the banquet to talking about how Corvairs break down on the road than plans or programs to support members or membership.
  The president did not address the convention. Meetings were not fully supported by directors. It was not business as usual - there was no business.
  Conventions could be an opportunity for members to not only learn about their cars and the association, but to be heard on issues that affect them.
  Workshops could train club officers and Corsa directors in how to build and manage effectively.
  Chapters that have built succesful programs could teach others.
  Meaningful votes could be taken from designated chapter reprentatives on important matters.
  Attendance by chapter officers and regional directors must be mandatory with penalties for non-compliance.
  The automotive events could be the "finals" of national competition.
  For the concours, entrants could be qualified winners of regional sanctioned events.
  The people's choice car show could have meaning.
  Autocross should show only the best, cars and drivers qualifying in sanctioned regional events.
  Other moving events could mean more than a nice drive.
  With proper purpose, skilled management and effective promotion, attending the annual Corsa convention would be the goal of every member.
  National media would compete to cover the event. Sponsors would fight over rights to show their products like a mini-SEMA show.
  Old timers could still sit around and swap stories and spouses could still go shopping and on boat tours.
  The location would only be important in attracting media attention.
  What this would take is for directors to define the purpose and make the commitment.
  A full time professional convention director is required with all the assets needed.
  Local chapters can still be enrolled in site selection and event volunteer staffing.
  It should be a Corsa convention, not a local chapter event.
  Again I assert that without a major overhaul Corsa and its convention are headed for the junkyard.
  I speak only for myself, and my comments are meant to encourage support of Corsa.
  I invite debate on this critical issue.
  In 2008 Corsa is coming to Southern California. It is the world media center and a major center of automotive design and marketing.
  How does Corsa intend to use this opportunity?
  An amateur approach is unthinkable!
  It is time to change!
  Jack Pinard
  Member Corsa and three chapters
  PS: What are the promotional plans for Detroit? Is Chevrolet supporting Corsa?