<VV> Convention Purpose

aeroned at aol.com aeroned at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 15:35:35 EDT 2006

So many comments, I hardly know where to begin....

Quote 1:  "The president did not address the convention. Meetings were not fully
supported by directors. It was not business as usual - there was no business."

The President and directors were present in several meetings. The reason the directors weren't in specific meeting may have been due to schedule conflicts, afterall they are at the convention for fun too.

Quote 2:  "Meaningful votes could be taken from designated chapter reprentatives on
important matters."

Where does it say that "designated chapter reprentatives" get to vote on anything at the national level? That's what the BOD is for and they do vote. Their votes are recorded in the Communique.

Quote 3:  "Attendance by chapter officers and regional directors must be mandatory with
penalties for non-compliance."

Yea, right! what are we going to do, fine them, throw them out of the club? We have a hard enough time finding people to VOLUNTEER to serve on the BOD and chapter officers without threatening them with penalties.

Quote 4:  "The automotive events could be the "finals" of national competition...."

What if you live in an area of the country where there are no regional sanctioned
events? Are they to be excluded from participating at the convention? For many people, the convention is the only time they have an oppertunity to participate in an event with other Corvairs. If I can't participate in the events that are not spectator friendly, (ralley and econorun) what do I do? If I can't participate in the car events with my car then why am I there? These events are serious competition for some and a "nice drive" to others, why should the less serious be excluded from having fun? I just can't disagree with this enough.

Quote 5:  "National media would compete to cover the event."

Dream on...It would be nice, you might get a 30 second spot on the evening news if you're lucky, really lucky, and it was a slow news day. You have a better chance to get an article in the local paper. I'd bet that AP won't pick up the story. The fact is that the general public just isn't interested in a car show for a specific model that's been out of production for 40 years. When was the last time you heard anything about the Mustang, Camaro or Corvette national convention?

Quote 6:  "A full time professional convention director is required with all the assets needed."

And who's going to pay for that? I just don't think that a full time director is needed. The local clubs have done an outstanding job planning the national and regional event that I have attended without the necessity or cost of a full time CORSA convention director.

Ned