<VV> A New Corvair Owner

jrg478 at aol.com jrg478 at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 19:34:20 EDT 2006

 Hello!

My wife and I are proud to say that we now own a 1967 Corvair Monza Sport Coupe and we are looking forward to joining the loyal group of Corvair owners and keeping this wonderful car alive. I just read a few notes on the prices of Corvairs and its effect on getting younger demographics interested in the Corvair and old cars. My wife and I are prime examples as to why we think Corvairs are the best kept secrets in the classic car world.

We are both in our late 20's and recent law school graduates. I am not a stranger to the classic car hobby, as I restored a 1968 Mercury Montego MX Convertible (200ci L6) from 2001-2003. Recently, my wife said that she would someday like a classic that she can drive and enjoy because she feels the Merc is too big for her (of course it also has a three on the tree...). I began to plot right away and I began to search for a Corvair.

I turned to the Corvair because I had an interesting experience once in a '65 Monza Coupe. In 1998, a friend of mine took out his grandfather's fully restored '65. His family was getting ready to sell it and he offered me the chance to take it for a spin. I received a crash course on Corvair operation and behind the tourqouise & white steering wheel I went. I drove ever so slowly and ever so carefully, mostly because I had never driven an old car before that was so meticulous. At that time I knew a little bit about the car, but not enough to prevent me from saying to him: "So, why did Nader claim this car was so unsafe?" My friend turned bright red and ordered me to pull over. He said "get out and let me drive." I did so. He then told me to buckle-up and told me he would show me that Ralph (expletive) Nader was wrong and that his grandfather's car was built better than GM made it. He then slammed the PG lever into L and floored it - he accelerated up to about 65 when he intentionally panicked stopped - slammed it into R and then fully accelerated in reverse to about 35 and then cut the wheel and slammed her back into D (doing a 180) and fully accelerated again (this was on backroads). He then proceded to put the Corvair through a variety of manuevers. Never once did that car falter or loose traction. From that day forward I knew I wanted a Corvair and that the much maligned Corvair got a bad and unjustified wrap.

The other reason I turned to the Corvair is because of the parts availability and the lower prices associated with restoring one. Having been in the hobby for 5 years, I see the hoop-la over muscle cars and there is no way a person in our demographic can even touch one. I lucked out on the Merc when I bought it because I was ignorant of what it took to restore a car, but also because it was a bare bones six cylinder and needed a lot of help. I like the Corvair because it has a strong following, an interesting history, almost all parts are available and reasonably priced, the purchase price of the car was very fair and most of all, to me, it is not only a different kind of car, but it is a driver's car. I am very excited about learning the engineering and mechanical aspects of the car. I think it respresents some of the best that the American Auto Makers ever turned out. Anyone can work on a smallblock, but how many people my age can say they worked on a TurboAir 164???

In short, if it wasn't for the "forgotten" Corvair, I don't think my wife and I would be able to afford a second classic car that both of us can enjoy. Our 67 is practically rust free and only needs cosmetic and engine work.

I have a funny suspicion this may not be our last...

We look forward to meeting and speaking with our fellow owners in the future!

Jay & Pam Green
Pittsfield, MA