<VV> 1963 turbo - No boost

Duane, Jim (US SSA) Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Thu Apr 6 09:31:12 EDT 2006

Hi Robert.

Looks like the collective bases are covered.  For the throttle
linkage/carb, an assistant mashing the pedal while looking with the aid
of a flashlight and mirror will tell you all you need to know...

Hmmm, a "wall" or bog at 3500RPM?  Not herky jerky, but a bog?  That's
also where the mechanical advance should start to assert itself.

Timing?  Since you aren't getting any boost at the moment, maybe
plugging the pressure retard and taking a run might show an effect.

Do you have access to a shop that can give you a timing curve on your
distributor?  Is it advancing??

Bad coupling hose at the intake?  OK under vacuum and opening at the
start of boost?

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Robert Hawley
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 2:01 AM
To: virtualvairs (posts)
Subject: <VV> 1963 turbo - No boost

Howdy All, My 1963 Spyder convertible with 24,000 original miles on it
has been at Ken Hand's shop getting a rehab and is nearly ready except
for one issue: drivability. Grant rebuilt the original YH carb last
year.  Ken has replaced and had Jet-coated all of the in/outlet Turbo
pipes with the 1964 versions for better sealing, replaced the exhaust
crossover, sealed the entire exhaust system, rebuilt the Turbo,
installed a Pertronix 1 and done general rehab on all of the engine
vitals.  Ken says that the car exhibits good compression consistent with
an engine of this mileage.  The car has the original distributor and the
pressure retard seems to function properly.  The car has new Spark
plugs, Seth's wires, is properly grounded, starter and generator rebuilt
and it starts and runs/idles well.

The car has the original (as far as I know) fuel pump on it with a
pressure regulator (set at 3.5 #) as there is no return fuel line on
this early 1963 model.  The rubber gas line connector over the rear
wheel well has been replaced as has the rubber line at the tank and the
fuel sender in the tank.

The only issue is that there is no boost.  This was the same complaint I
had when I took the car to him before all the work was done and it is
still not resolved.  The car revs fine until about 32-3500 RPM and then
it "hits a wall" and will slowly rev more but won't boost and the
acceleration flattens out.  Once up to speed, it runs well at 70 MPH
(3500 RPM).

 Ken has experimented with changing the fuel pressure regulator with no
affect, but has not been able to get it on the road due to Michigan's
fickle weather and subsequent road salting.  He thinks that it may be
carburetion, misaligned accelerator linkage or possibly weak valve
springs. Could the vacuum idle pull off mounted on the chrome turbo
crossover (that retards the linkage/revs between shifts) be part of the
problem?

While I do trust Ken to have the experience to solve this problem, I
would like to poll the collective knowledge base on the VV board for any
ideas that might help to resolve this issue. The car is in Pontiac, MI
and I am in Kalamazoo and it is nearly time to put the top down and go
cruisin'.

Thanks to all in advance for your ideas, Robert Hawley (CORSA and West
Michigan Corvair Club member)