<VV> New 140 Motors (This time for real!)

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 09:30:25 EDT 2006

I was a parts counterman at a Chevy dealership  for five years back in the
mid-Seventies...(Martin Chevrolet, where South Coast Corsa still meets monthly)

Here's a call that got my attention...

Phone rings....

Hello Parts. This is Craig

Hi Craig.  This is XXX from XXX Chevrolet in Burbank. I hear you are kinda
into Corvairs.  One of my customers (Lockheed, Burbank) used to use Corvair
engines for (pumps???) and they have some surplus NOS engines in crates.  Would
you be interested in buying one?  I have a total of five.

Gee XXX, that sounds interesting.  What model are they?

Don't know the assembly number but the engine code is XXA.  They have the
setup for four carburetors.

REALLY.  What do you need for them?

$300 each.

Hmm.  OK, I'll take them.

Them?  All of them?

YES, I'll take them all.

End call.

They showed up the next day.

I had four of them sold within a couple of hours to Corvair buddies.  A $75
markup on each of the four sold paid for the one I kept and put in my '69
Convertible!

That was one of the best days in my Corvair career!  I'm still waiting for
another call like that one...  There's always hope.
Craig Nicol