<VV> Low cost Engine build tool

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 02:44:04 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/8/2006 3:08:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
BobHelt at aol.com writes:

Agreed.  Once you get it torn down to just the case, it's easy to  take it off
the  stand, carry it to the bench and split the case  there. Once you have
the
bearing work done, carry it back to the  stand and remount it to finish  the
build.

When I was first going to split a set of cases, I took a cylinder head and
laid it down on my 2" thick wooden workbench, aligning it so the first  case
stud hole was about 2" from the edge of the workbench and the head was
perpendicular to that same edge. Using a pencil, I marked - on the surface of  the
bench - the location of all of the stud holes. I removed the head and  drilled
7/16" holes down through the thickness of the  bench where each stud would be.
Now whenever I have to assemble the cases,  I just aim the studs on one side
through the holes and the case slides down  onto the bench, waiting for me to
drop in - or pull out, the crank or cam,  then attach the other half. I don't
use it for torquing the case studs. But with  a little jockeying it might work.
If located and aimed correctly, you might be  able to put on the bellhousing
and flywheel. It goes back onto the engine stand  for further assembly.  -
Seth Emerson