<VV> cylinder head temperature

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Apr 10 00:12:46 EDT 2006

500 degrees for those conditions sounds high. My '64 regularly ran about
450 to 475 in the summer, but that was 80 to 90 ambient degrees and
maybe slightly faster road speed (3000 to 3500 rpm). But, if I played
with it, then it would go up. This is why I always ran without the lower
shrouds in the summer. But don't say that too loud, other lurkers swear
it is not necessary!

When I first got the car I climbed Afton Mountain with 4 people in the
car at 60 mph+ on US Rt. 250, not the I-64 newer Interstate. One of the
guys in back (convertable with top down) said "hey I think your engine
is pinging". I looked down and the temp gage was 600 +++++. I slowed
down and the temp came right down. Downshifted also! Boost had been on.

Hey, maybe that's why that engine always swallowed valve seats!

Frank DuVal