<VV> Alternators Unloaded

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Tue Apr 11 23:16:38 EDT 2006

corvairduval at cox.net writes:
Well, I'm going to have to disagree on this until I do more research. From
my fields learning way back when this doesn't seem possible to produce that
much voltage to endanger the diodes when the turns ratio hasn't changed.

Anybody else have experience running an alternator with no connections?
  Smitty Says:  It may be a fact that the voltage will run amock and it may be a fact that they will burn up and all the diodes will melt through the floor.  My facts are different.  Every engine I have built for years has been run-in sitting on the garage floor with an alternator mouted on it for a belt idler.  Every one of those engines has been installed in a car with that alternator in place.  I have never had a problem afterward with any of them.