<VV> I said goodbye to a friend today... some Corvair

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Tue Apr 11 23:55:49 EDT 2006

Hey guys,
I got up early this morning with Cheryl and drove the 69 Monza to Lexington,
KY to say so long to an old friend... You might remember a few months back I
mentioned a Central Ky Corvair Club member, Chuck Jelinek, was diagnosed with
cancer... he found out right before Christmas... well, he passed away Friday
evening at the age of 62, and we buried him in Lexington Cemetery today. Those
of us who drove Corvairs got to follow behind the preacher, who was directly
behind the immediate family... some of the club members present said some really
nice things about him... he was a great guy, always willing to lend a helping
hand or tell you of a new gadget he'd found... I'd called him a few times
since finding out about the cancer, and he was ready for what was to come. I also
sent him a card right after I had my surgery in February, just to let him
know I was thinking of him... I got news early last week that he wasn't doing
well, and since I was busy with my girls last week while there were home from
school (spring break) I'd decided to make a trip down to see him this week....
well, I got to see him, but not the way I wanted.
He was a "Handy Man" in the truest sense of the word. I will miss him, but I
know many others who will miss him more. They were close enough to stop in and
see him when they could, while I live more than a hundred miles from that
area... and I didn't make the time to do what I should have done and attempted to
visit him earlier.
Anyway, if you would, please pray for his family and for his friends... a
summer without Chuck calling looking for a part or not being at the club
functions just isn't going to feel right... but I guess we'll have to get used to the
idea.
On a brighter note, when I left the driveway this morning the 69 Monza's
odometer read 9802, and tonight, when I got back from the Derby City's club
meeting it read 10142... 340 miles in my ratty old 69... not bad for what I paid for
it.... and it ran fine... still a few things to adjust, but for the most
part, I think I'll keep it!
Well, thats about all I have to say... it sucks to lose a friend.
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg,
1963 Greenbrier 110/4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg