<VV> Alternator question

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Wed Apr 12 06:42:12 EDT 2006

No transformer, just a direct output from the alternator, and it was DC,
meaning only devices like light bulbs, heaters, and brush type universal motors,
like drills and saws could be used. But they did punch out about 3000 watts!

Yeah, I remember the Electroclear windshields. A thin layer of indium tin
oxide with about 90-120 volts going through it, because the resistance was too
high to get useful power at 12v. Neat idea. I wonder how much those
alternators  go for?

Anyhow, there are too many electronics on today's cars to survive a spike.
However, there's a standard out there that anything electronic on a car be able
 to survive a spike of 80 volts for something like half a second. I am sure
someone has more info on this.
Furthermore, a truly modern alternator has different diodes in it. They are
avalanche diodes which essentially conduct backwards STRONGLY if they are
reverse biased by more than 30 volts or so, again, in an effort to protect
everything from a sudden disconnect of the battery. These alternators could be  run
unloaded, but I am not sure how the regulator inside would like it....

In a message dated 4/11/2006 11:13:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,