<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 15, Issue 54

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Apr 12 08:11:53 EDT 2006

>Gotcha, my squeamishness comes from getting bitten by an alternator on a
>test stand, no battery, 3450 RPM, and it was pumping out over 100 volts!
>There
>may be no field excitation, but there was enough magnetism in the rotor to
>zap
>my unsuspecting behind! A clip lead to ground stopped it, and that 16 gage
>wire  didn't even get warm.

I wouldn't. With no field (the small wires), there might be some voltage
but there will be no current behind it. Worst case for an alternator is
to  charging a dead battery (high load) and someone pulls the battery,
voltage can exceed 200 v and will have a punch behind it.

Ran a number of tests while a GMI student with Delco-Remy that lead to the
SCCA requirement for a dual pole kill switch that disconnects both the
battery and the alternator.

Padgett