<VV> Billet engine rotary valves

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Wed Apr 12 18:09:22 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Burkhard" <burkhard at rochester.rr.com>
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: <VV> Billet engine rotary valves

> Very very difficult to manufacture. Sealing issues. Not practical.
>
> Jim Burkhard
***************
I am not sure it's not practical .... check out all the model airplane shaft
rotary valve engines next time you are in a hobby shop.  They seem to work
quite well.

Sealing is helped somewhat because about half the time the pressure in the
valve is below atmospheric  that's half the battle (g).  We also sometimes
just use a simple sealed ball bearing at the " leaky" points ..... another
trick is to "thread" the shaft so that even at the 180 degree crank point,
the end of the thread groove is sucking in at the seal ... hee , hee, a
madman's solution that works great....
  just think about the sealing problems on a turbocharger ... you would
never think they could beat those sealing problems ...

There are many reasons why good ideas don[t make it to production......
one of which involves stock hyping ... some people intend the make the money
from selling stock shares, whether the idea is good or not ...   I am
wondering if this was the case here .. but anyway other problems can be
organizational screw ups, internal power struggles .... etc. etc.
.................. and meanwhile, a perfectly good idea or product gets left
in the cellar ....