<VV> EM Hood Spring Removal

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 15 01:42:09 EDT 2006

Hi Geoffrey,

Look in the center of the hood area up near the wiper motor where the
springs for either side meet.  There is a pin there that holds the tension
on the torsion springs.  You will have to get a pry bar in there and
compress the ends of the torsion springs so you can remove the pin.  It has
been a few years since I did it but I believe I used a block of wood against
the pinch weld that runs along the width of the trunk up near the master
cylinder and wiper motor for a leverage point.  I think I may have used a
chunk of 2 x 4  to push on the ends of the torsion springs in unison.  I
believe I put the pry bar between the piece of 2 x 4 pushing on the springs
and the other board that I layed along the pinch weld.  Just put something
over the torsion rods like a heavy tarp or something to slow it down in case
it wants to fly.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!