<VV> Re: LONG "Unsafe At Any Speed"/Group Corvair Comments for April, 2006

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sat Apr 15 11:38:08 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/14/2006 7:48:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
keodot at yahoo.com writes:

> leeaube at worldnet.att.net, ed.averman at faa.gov, barleyhound at centurytel.net,
> foxchase123 at msn.com, ward at mygalaxyexpress.com, keodot at yahoo.com,
> corvairdoug at aol.com, clarkgapland at aol.com, corsa at corvair.org, corvair at xecu.net,
> dcostigan at express56.com, cotrofeldauto at adelphia.net, wdempsey at copper.net,
> corvair at fnader.com, fons at toad.net, deanfoote at orbital.com, jkfg717 at aol.com, rwg1119 at msn.com
> , jgreen at alum.mit.edu, grits36 at msn.com, hallgrenn at aol.com,
> jrmikehgaith at aol.com, dhartzler at ifc.org, kilby119 at verizon.net, bob.king at purina.com,
> klinzey at acm.org, lanningwb at aol.com, don at lintvet.com, macmgeo at aol.com,
> johnamoodydc at verizon.net, corvair65 at verizon.net, jimmybobimmy at gmpexpress.net,
> motley1250 at skynet-va.com, claywispell at comcast.net, mikepapantones at yahoo.com, peprlp at aol.com,
> powersellerhere at aol.com, dickbolt at his.com, pziegler at udel.edu, rcwvair at rcn.com,
> par429 at aol.com, driddle at fast.net, chsadek at adelphia.net, saseago at yahoo.com,
> clshimp at juno.com, m.simpson7 at verizon.net, simpsonj at bellatlantic.net,
> frannorton at comcast.net, thedryspot at comcast.net, openhabit at aol.com, torbao at hotmail.com,
> anjonu at earthlink.net, rewagner at comcast.net, rwinchester at comcast.net

Thanks for the new "Comments" for April.  I wanted to add to John Moody's
article as I believe it is a plus to look at our cars objectively without the
hyperbole employed by those who perpetuate the "urban legends" about
them--especially the early ones.  Ralph Nader was--and is--an advocate (lawyer) who was
not trained as an engineer or inclined to be objective.  Nader argued his
position, the other side argued theirs and the judge made a decision.    For those
of you who have objectively read "Unsafe at Any Speed" (and John Moody has) you
know there is a plausible argument presented for the need for safety
improvements for cars of the late '50's and early '60's as Mr. Nader pointed out. The
fact that he spent a larger portion on the Corvair as one model and the fact
that no other American car was like it has meant our car got most of the
publicity. Though the early model swing axles did allow for a transition from
understeer to oversteer it was physically impossible for them to "tuck under" as far
as Nader's said. (And NTSA confirmed this later).  But Mr. Nader wrote the
book about the entire American automobile industry.

I have never heard Nader's comments or the quotes in his book about the other
cars listed in any publication.  I have never heard anything but the "urban
legend" of the Corvair.  I think we should all be able to objectively comment
on the importance of the safety advocates of the period as they were at least
indirectly responsible for allowing the engineers at car firms to make safer
cars.  I also believe that the early model Corvairs and by association the late
model Corvairs were unfairly stigmatized even though they had better braking
characteristics and handling than any other cars of the period save the
Corvette (as shown in the NTSA study published in July 1972). They also were safer in
frontal collisions because the gas tank was well protected (just don't hit
the left front corner at high speed on ANY American car of the period) and the
trunk was an effective "crush zone" to dissipate the energy of a collision.
Mr. Nader correctly cites the poor handling of other cars highlighting the
Mustang when he quotes Car Life's article "Taming the Wild Mustang" as "the
quintessence of what's generally wrong with American cars.  It's a heavy-nosed
blunderbuss with a teen-age rear suspension." ....."If you hit a bump heeled over,
the suspension immediately bottoms out, the tire loses its already tenuous
grip, and the Mustang jumps to the side like a frisky colt."  When have you heard
this quote?  Corvairs didn't do that.

The infamous "drop in" gas tank on Ford's of the period is also cited (Fords
had a trunk with a stamped depression into which the gas tank was dropped with
a flammable fiber board covering to protect the sending unit connections from
luggage.  In a rear end collision (especially with the short rear deck of a
Mustang) if the Ford gas tank ruptured and was ignited, the gasoline quickly
burned through the open back of the upholstered rear seat into the passenger
compartment.  All Corvair gas tanks were behind the front suspension crossmember
and separated from the passengers by steel.  The Mustang's sharp front hood
edges were cited as deadly to pedestrians as were Cadillac tail fins (including
the case of a local Kensington MD girl who was killed when she lost control of
her bicycle and was gashed below the throat on a Cadillac rear fin).  Senator
Ribicoff's hearings along with other public discussion and Mr. Nader's fall
1965 publication of "Unsafe At Any Speed" were indicative of public sensitivity
to car safety at the time.  Note that Nader's book was published after the
'66 models had been introduced and after the spring '65 decision to discontinue
the Corvair to leave the economy field to the Chevy II-Nova alone and the
"Pony Car" market to the coming, and cheaper to build, 1967 Camaro.

Because of that public scrutiny we got collapsible steering shafts with shear
pins (in front of the firewall) and collapsible steering columns (after the
firewall) in 1967, locking latches on rear seat backs on the '67, 68 and '69
models and dual master cylinders with split brake lines beginning in 1967
models, shoulder belts and head restraints standard after January 1, 1968 and
another three years of Corvair models to save face after Nader's book was published
during the '66 model year.  (John, I had always heard the thin sheet metal
plate welded to the back of the ''68 and '69 model crossmembers was to keep
debris from collecting there which accelerated rustout--though the irony is that
cars that survived the normal life span were actually hurt by the cover because
it too caused rustout.  I had never heard it was there to cover the "knife
edge" and having survived an accident where the front crossmember in a '65
severely deformed the gas tank without cutting it I remain sceptical, but I am open
to your view as it also makes sense).

I urge all Corvair club members to read Nader's book in order to be able to
discuss objectively and dispassionately the arguments Nader makes about the
American automobile industry of the time (don't buy it, we don't need a reprint,
check it out at the library).  We should not perpetuate the safety myth of
early models and, by extension, all Corvairs by immediately going to the
arguments in one chapter of "Unsafe At Any Speed."  The first chapter on the Corvair
is less than forty pages long out of almost 300 pages.  Nader was taking on the
whole American automotive industry.  It's been almost 40 years since Nader's
book was published--we don't need to perpetuate it's myths.  We need to remind
ourselves and the public about the facts and foibles of the book (and the
times) to find the objectivity our marque and cars deserve.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair