<VV> LONG "Unsafe At Any Speed"/Group Corvair

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sun Apr 16 10:15:13 EDT 2006

Couldn't have said it any better myself, Bob.  The safety improvements that
came as a result of Nader's "expose" were overdue and much needed.  Everybody
forgets that the Corvair was only one chapter in the book.  Right at the
moment, I have a customer's car in the shop that has three or four "features" that
Ralph brought to light. It's a '58 Cadillac.  I don't think the fins are all
that bad, especially compared to a '59, but it has a nasty power brake booster
that in a matter of seconds can suck all the brake fluid out of the reservoir
resulting in zero brakes without warning. It also has the pre-PRNDL
standardized shift pattern. R is at the "bottom" right next to "L" (PNDDLR), so one tiny
bump on the lever and your going the opposite direction.  There are no "lift"
detents. This has caught me by surprise more that once.  It also had the
pot-metal horn ring that's famous for fracturing and skewering hands in crashes. I
don't think keyless power windows are a huge problem, but kids have been
trapped and killed by them and the Caddy has them too.  No, Nader isn't my favorite
person, but I'm glad that someone got the ball rolling on simple design
changes that have reduced highway fatalities dramatically over the last 40 years.
Craig Nicol