<VV> Not quite

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Apr 16 19:09:28 EDT 2006

>"Overnight (Jan 1, 1968) two entire classes of cars were completed wiped
>out in the US. Small lightweight economy cars and low slung sports cars,

Not really, they just evolved. The Vega/Pinto series were both intended for
the '70s and were smaller than the Corvair/Falcon. That both the Pinto and
the Vega had fatal flaws was not the issue (I have had several Vegas, a
steel-sleeved Astre wagon that I really liked, and a V-8 Sunbird (glorified
Vega) I kept for over 20 years).

The problem was that the bulk of the American public did not and never has
wanted truly small cars (and apparently still doesn't).

Now the rule changes of 1968 really did not take effect until the mid-70's
though GM was usually a year ahead in compliance. True, some of the early
measures were really crude (lowered compression and retarded timing) but by
1980 were pretty much understood and today's computer cars are a world more
efficient than the cars of 1973 (which had the worst CAFE AFAIR,  something
like 12.5 mpg).

Also bumper laws had a noticable effect on "low slung sports cars" which
was not all bad (had a good friend very seriously injured when his Lotus
Elan ran under a Lincoln). Many european companies just decided there were
no enough sales in the US to justify one-market models. Convertibles were
always a "loss leader" (in the mid-70s *all* GM convertibles used the same
top and made by the same non-GM company. It was cheaper to farm them out
than for GM to build a small number). Today they have come back because the
carmakers have time again but only in specific model lines.

So each element is really complex when you look at all of the pressures and
federal regulation were just part (and often an excuse).

Padgett