<VV> What are the odds?

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sun Apr 16 22:00:51 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Verthein" <daretocorvair at yahoo.com>
Subject: <VV> What are the odds?

>   What are the odds that after I get the car running,
> it will actually make a 720 mile trip from here to
> Topeka, Kansas without...overheating, or one of many
> other problems?
>  GO!
>
> Ryan V. in Bovey
> '65 110/4 NCUC
************
My guess is about 50-50 unless you get a chance to proof test it
extensively.

But if you carry a " corvair touring help kit "  .... and have an extensive
list of corvair guys along the route complete with cell phone accessible
phones ...  the odds go up to maybe 90% to the good.  ( For instance, we
ourselves are in sw iowa, just off of I35, ph 641 763 2271 shop, 9 am to
midnight etc, and I got a car hauler that will handle corvairs (g)  )

Many things that happen to corvairs are long-term finish-the-trip things (
overheating, clutch chatter, groink-ing noises in the drive train, leaking
drips from front of engine, carburetor choke settings, etc. ) most acute
problems are handled by the travelers kit ( belt, fuel pump, extra fuel
line/clamps, etc. ).  On a 800 mile trip, carry extra oil for older rings
and check dipstick OFTEN ....

Over the years, I have put a lot of miles on "stocker" corvairs, from KC to
Minneapolis, Lincoln Ne to Chicago ....   and have only been stopped cold
once; a broken clutch cable, fairly common ...  even then I waited until
later at night when traffic was cleared, and limped home trick shifting,
rolling thru stop lights, etc, a hundred miles to home base, so I got better
at it ...
*********
just some thoughts .... ken campbell, macho corvair black belt tourista