<VV> Re: Oil use

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Sun Apr 16 22:58:49 EDT 2006

Robert,

Well, you can run SAE 20W, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.  If you look
at the owner's manual for your '66, you'll see that even then GM
recommended multigrade oils.  Oil technology has improved a lot since then,
and I don't know why anyone would choose to run a single viscosity oil in a
Corvair today.  Modern multi-viscosity oils pump into a cold engine faster,
carry dirt away better, and allow faster warmups than single viscosity oils do.

A grade that covers the design viscosity range, is cheap and readily
available is 10W30.  You can also run 10W40 with success.  I've also used
15W40 and 15W50 synthetics, but found that the cold oil pressure was a
little high as temperatures got close to freezing.  I live in Pennsylvania
and generally run 10W30 in my Corvairs.  I can't say for sure how well they
work compared to single grades - I've only got 105,000 miles on the engine
in my van now, and have never run anything but multigrade oil in it.

Just because Corvairs are old doesn't mean that they can't benefit from
improvements in technologies since 1969 like better O ring rubber or better
engine oils.

- Rad Davis

Rad Davis:                                        rad.davis at comcast.net
Corvairs--65, 66 Corsa coupes, '65 'brier Deluxe   http://www.corvair.org/
Keeper of the Forward Control Corvair Primer:
http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/fc1.html
"We did Nebraska in seven minutes today. I think that's probably the best
way to do Nebraska."                            --Brian Shul, _Sled Driver_