<VV> Swing Axles

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Apr 17 08:31:26 EDT 2006

At 08:03 AM 4/17/2006, mygroups wrote:
>Swing Axle meant ALOT more cars than Volkswagen - many European cars had
>swing axle arrangements (see Fiat for starters).

True but from an American marketting standpoint, those other cars were
barely a blip during the '50s. VW was real competition. Anyone know what
the 356 Porsche rear suspension was ?

>Thanks, no swing axles for me. Ford took a poor idea (swing axles) and
>stuck it on the front of their trucks! <grin!>

The "twin I beam" front suspension had *much* longer swing arms with pivot
points nearly to the wheel on the other side. Coupled with limited travel
and modest performance expectations I doubt if anyone noticed. Was better
than a live front axle.

Padgett