<VV> Used wrong size helicoil

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 12:32:25 EDT 2006

Hey Jim,

  Just use the larger bolt and fuggetaboutit.
  Like they say in Florida, ya gotta think:  is the juice worth the squeeze?

  Chuck Kubin

Jim McLott <Jim.McLott at DOR.GA.GOV> wrote:
  Christine has had a broken off oil pan bolt since I bought her. It has never yielded to a bolt extractor, but since it's one of the inner ones by the cam gear, I never worried too much about it. Today while I had the oil pan off, I decided to go ahead and drill it out and install a helicoil. The operation was a success, except that I used the wrong size helicoil, 3/8 - 16 instead of 1/4 - 20. (Too little sleep is a dangerous thing.)

Now I'm wondering what should I do? Can I install a smaller helicoil over a larger one? Should I try filling the hole with JB Weld and start all over again? Should I find a bigger bolt that fits? Should I do what I've done all these years and ignore it?

Thanks,
Jim McLott & Christine, the '66 Monza convertible wonder-car
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and Group Red

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/groupred/mclott.htm