<VV> 65 Corsa questions

Ray Rodriguez reray at echoes.net
Mon Apr 17 12:32:54 EDT 2006

     As promised, here is my first post with some Corvair questions for anyone who can help.

     This 1965 Corsa I just purchased has a "Fitch Sprint" fastback roof on it.  Unfortunately the roof was very carefully molded into the car to look integral rather then looking like a separate piece as it should.  I plan to remove the fitch roof and return the car to more or less stock Corsa condition.

     I bought the car from a liquidator who obtained the car through an automotive charity donation.  I was told that the previous owner of the car really seemed to think this car was something special, and had been trying to sell the car (in somewhat rough but very restoreable condition) for $8,000!  The charity gave him an $8,000 tax deduction for the donation of the car.

     I want to verify that this is not an original Fitch Sprint before I put the car back to stock.  If, by some small chance, this is an original Sprint I would do my best to restore the car back to that status.  I need advice on how to determine if this car was an actual Fitch Sprint or not before I begin working on it.  The car has been fairly heavily customized so it's going to be hard to tell.

Here is a description of the modifications to the car that I think you should know about:

Fitch roof, bonded to the car and feathered in so you cant see the seams (I know its not supposed to be this way)

Car sits lower then stock and seems to stay much closer to level when cornering, I'd say it definitely has had suspension mods for performance, but dont know if they are "Fitch" or just aftermarket.

The exhaust was replaced with a system similar to the one offered by Fitch, I know these are readily available, but when the exhaust was replaced staying close to what was previously there may have led to this decision.

The dash pad of the car extends down in the center to the ash tray, and the factory radio is not in the dash.  I have noticed in old Sprint interior pictures (car and driver) that the radio is not present in its stock location.

The paint job, though in blue and white and not the original dark green the car came in, is in the Fitch Sprint style.  This may have been done at the time of the roof installation to make a Sprint repica of sorts, or again may be because they wanted to stay with the Sprint look the car had originally.

     I think it is unlikely that this is an original Sprint, but I dont want to risk destroying one if it is.  Let me know what else I can look for that may be intact after many years of replacement parts and customization to tell me whether it is or not.

     One thought I had was to check the turns of the steering wheel lock to lock.  I know the Sprint tested by car and driver was 3.8 but I don't know for sure that the stock Corsa was different.  I have not yet tested to see what mine is.

     One final question I have is about the steering wheel.  I dont believe this to be a fitch item but it may be worth something.  The steering wheel in this car is what I believe to be the "grant gt" variety.  It is a small diameter three spoke steering wheel with a thick leather covered rim.  What caught my attention here is the fact that there is a nice corsa emblem center in the steering wheel that appears to fit it correctly.  Is this a common item?  This steering wheel would need the leather redone but is otherwise in nice condition.  Where did this come from, and is it worth something?  I will post a picture as soon as possible.

Thanks for all the help!

Ray Rodriguez

Coldwell Banker Lifestyles Realty
(800)853-8171 ext.27 Toll Free