<VV> Emission Regs [non Corvair]

WillSmithIndoorPS smith at indoorps.com
Mon Apr 17 14:06:43 EDT 2006

Concerning govt. regs here are two items I found "unbelieveable" while I was
teaching GM dealer mechanics in the 70s:

    1. At the GM Proving Grounds 100% of the fuel had to pass thru chemical
analysis before it was placed in a car which was being driven to accumulate
its 50,000 miles so it could be tested to see if it would meet the emissions
requirements mandated before the car model could be offered for sale. The
reason for the analysis - if a car failed an interim test, at say 49,000
miles, there would not be enough time left before new model intro to start
over and log the necessary 50K miles. At the time I visited the Grounds in
'74, I was 'blown away' by the size of the chem lab needed to keep the GM
fleet "fueled" while all the various models were undergoing their 50,000
mile accumulation...only 5 cars were accumulating their 50K on an automatic
dyno...the rest of the fleet was being driven 24/7 on the Grounds to
accumulate "real life" wear and tear...a Super Serious safety program was in
place to prevent collisions because if a car was in a wreck [part of the
test was to sit on the side of the road and idle a while before re-entering
traffic] and any of its emmission systems had to be replaced during
collision repair, the 50K miles accumulation had to be started over. The
amount of money being spent to satisfy the emission stds at that time was
visible and awesome! I was dumbfounded about the chem analysis because our
pump gas was certainly not exposed to chem analysis. [Side Observation -
prior to my visit I thought being a proving ground driver would be a 'cool'
job; then I pictured driving to and from work each day, driving a simulated
traffic program for 8 hours at work, and then when I got home having the
wife say, "Let's go see my mother tonight" who just happened to be a 1.5 hr
round trip drive from our house...WOW, sign me UP!]

    2. In '73 when the catalytic converter was added to GM cars we
instructors were told that the primary source of the platinum [catalyst] was
Russia. We were in the Cold War and here our nation was dependent on the
Russians to get our cars to meet the govt mandated emission stds. I can't
believe Russia didn't shut us off from their platinum if for no other reason
than just to haze us. Can you imagine the trauma such a shut-off would have
caused?

Have a GREAT American Day!
Will Smith, The Fresh Prince of Corvair"
http://IndoorPS.com

Wanted - nice, rust-free '66 Monza vert, pg, 110 for parade duty and giving
kids a ride in something they have probably never seen.; plan to buy 4Q06