<VV> oil slinger

rgubser at zoomtown.com rgubser at zoomtown.com
Wed Apr 19 07:47:32 EDT 2006

Hi, everyone. While I have the timing cover off of my '62 Spyder I'm thinking of installing an oil slinger like some earlier and later Corvairs had. (A paper enclosed with a old GM seal that I once had suggested retrofitting this to cars that didn't have them). When the slinger is placed onto the crank it slides back far enough to get behind the keyway on the crank and is free to rotate around. Is this normal? Also, what are your thoughts about using a bit of gasket sealer on the timing cover and oil filter mounting pad gaskets?  A good idea or not? If I use it should it be used on just one side of the gasket or both? Thanks for your input.

Ralph Gubser
Cincinnati, OH

--
rgubser