<VV> oil slinger

James Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Apr 19 10:12:21 EDT 2006

Comments in text.
Jim Davis

At 06:47 AM 4/19/2006, you wrote:
>Hi, everyone. While I have the timing cover off of my '62 Spyder I'm
>thinking of installing an oil slinger like some earlier and later
>Corvairs had. (A paper enclosed with a old GM seal that I once had
>suggested retrofitting this to cars that didn't have them). When the
>slinger is placed onto the crank it slides back far enough to get
>behind the keyway on the crank and is free to rotate around. Is this normal?

Yep, when you put the crank pulley/harmonic damper it will clamp the
oil slinger, fuel pump cam lobe and distributor drive gear all
together so nothing slips.  Always use it.

>Also, what are your thoughts about using a bit of gasket sealer on
>the timing cover and oil filter mounting pad gaskets?  A good idea or not?

A little is good; a lot is not.  Put a little on and spread it as
thin as you can with fingers.  I find that is about right.

>If I use it should it be used on just one side of the gasket or both?

If you going to use it use it on both sides.  It will aid in gasket
removal on engine rebuild.