<VV> 63 Spyder Wiring

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Apr 19 12:54:31 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/18/2006 5:46:05 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
stalder at cox.net writes:

Yes, this is a Spyder with external and separate  resistor.  I have only 1
wire from the resistor to the + side of the  coil.  But I have the red wire from
the ignitor going to the resistor on  the opposite side of the coil wire.
Then I have a condenser hooked to  the + side of the coil.  I have the black
Ignitor wire and the Tach  connected to the - coil.

Hi,
Then the hookup is correct. The problem must be in the current being drawn
thru the resistor. So it's got to be a shorted capacitor or a shorted coil.
Remove or swap the capacitor. Either swap coils, or check your coil's pri
resistance with a DMM. It should read 1.35 ohms, not less. Also check the
resistance of the resistor. It should be 0.3 to 0.5 ohms (.3 was stock).

It's got to be one of these items.

Since you are using an Ignitor I, what coil are you using? FYI their 40KV
coil is no better than a Corvair coil with 200 stamped on its shell.
Let us know what you find.
Regards,
Bob Helt