<VV> More>Two Spider DIfferential Rear wheel play

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Thu Apr 20 09:59:48 EDT 2006

Y'all are right. I was trying to show the difference when axle is all the
way in and you are just "twisting" the wheel/tire .  But what I did was
confuse the issue. If the car is resting on the wheel/tire or not, if you
can get "plunge" of axle by tipping in at top then that is the differential
and ok.

What happens inside the differential carrier is the center shaft which the
spider or pinion gears ride on, wears due to the rubbing of the yoke/gear
nut. This increases the play or "slop".  That is the way it is designed, and
as Bob Coffin will tell you, the forces keep the axle in against the spider
gear center shaft except when dislodged by hitting curbing etc.

I contend that too much play is not good. To remove it, the yoke nut needs
to be built up or it can be shimmed between upper round thick surface and
teeth (which engage side gears), as long as yoke nut engages side gears and
allow the yoke retaining bolt (the long one in the center) to thread in..

Four spider differentials are another story.

Chuck S