<VV> Brake drum problem?

Jim Houston tampatexan at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 20 18:25:23 EDT 2006

A friend of mine is working (as I type) on his Rampside doing a brake
job.  He asked me to post a question:  the rear drums are dragging on
the backing plate at the top, and there is a 1/4" to 3/8" gap at the
bottom.  Is this normal with the vehicle on jackstands?  Also, he says
the driveshafts are touching the lower arms where they come through the
swing arm -- Again, normal?  He doesn't have an engine in the truck, so
he can't jack the suspension up to see if anything changes - it just
lifts off the jackstands.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks in advance.  (Oh, and I looked in "The Book" and couldn't find
anything that would answer his questions.... :-(

Jim Houston
'65 Monza Coupe