Fwd: <VV> Wet fender

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Apr 21 11:54:18 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/21/2006 11:28:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
whubbell at cox.net writes:

> I found a rubber plug that when removed, drained my
> fender well.  Is this area supposed to have a drain hole or two or
> can\should I leave the rubber plug out, at least in wet weather?  I have a
> rust free car and I'd like to keep it that way

The rust has probably already started in the pinch weld area below the plug.
Dry it out thoroughly and monitor daily until you find the source of the
water or you won't have a rust free fender long.  Once you've found the leak,
clean the fender well thoroghly, flush it, dry it out and add a penetrating rust
eater.  Once that is dry I recommend you paint it.  Be sure to check the fender
well area at the edge of the wheel well as rust starts there and works its
way further into the fender.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier