<VV> Crankshaft ID?

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 11:22:30 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/24/2006 2:10:56 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
minoxphotographer at yahoo.com writes:

Fella  e-mailed us and told us no way that's a nitrided crank, unless it
has a %  mark on the end with the bolt holds for the balancer.  Now,
maybe Ryan  missed seeing that, or who knows, but he (politely) insists
it's gotta be a  non-nitrided crank, from a 110, and not a nitrided one
from a  turbo.

My understanding is ALL 64+ cranks are nitrided, and all motors  have
the same crank from '64 up. So I'm just trying to get some  verification
that we're right.  If it was a non-nitrided crank  wouldn't it have to
be from 63 or earlier, and in fact from a smaller CI  engine?

Perplexed.

Tim

Yo, Tim,
It is nitrited. The guy is mistaken. Look for an "&" stamped on the  flywheel
side between the pilot bng and the hub. That's the key. BTW all Spyder,  140
HP and 180 HP cranks were nitrided. None others. pretty sure the 140 PGs
were, but maybe not.
Don't you have a copy of my book, THE CLASSIC CORVAIR? This is all  described
there.
Regards,
Bob Helt

PS the wheels arrived.