<VV> today's odyssey

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 23:55:10 EDT 2006

Hey guys (and gals),
I had a rather fun day today... which is nice for a change... I got up early
and saw Cheryl off to work and the girls off to school, and packed up my tools
and some sheets of cardboard and headed to my Mom's place, about 50 miles
north of here... main purpose was to fix my step-dad's 1986 Chevy Sprint, 3
cylinder 5 speed,  which he lovingly calls "The Rat".
On my way up I-65 I merge into traffic and while passing some truckers I see
a red pickup truck hauling a trailer... he comes up behind me, and once
everything is clear I pull to the right for him to pass (I'm going a steady 70-75,
closer to 70)... he's hauling 2 old BMW bikes, one sporting a 1962 Ohio tag
looks to be "race ready" with crash bar around the engine and no other bells &
whistles, the other has a white fairing, and on the end of the handle bars are
turn signal bulbs/lenses and a nice set of hard saddlebags... it had a Michigan
tag on it... the guys gave me a thumbs up as the passed and pulled in front
of me and held a steady 70-75 mph.... I kept a little over a car's length
between us, and we followed each other until I got off at Mom's exit... they beeped
as I hit the exit ramp, and I waved so-long...
Once I got to Mom's I asked where the parts were for the Rat, as my step dad
was headed to work and pulling out of the driveway... he told me not to mess
with it, but since I'd never listened to him before, why should I do that now?
;-)
I'd purchased a clutch cable for him 2 months ago, and he'd already done all
the hard parts... including loosening all the bolts... just squeezing up under
the dash was the hard part for him (He's 5' 10" and stocky, not fat, but add
to the fact that he'll be 65 in 2 months I figured this would be something I
can do!)... I reminded him that my arms are a foot longer than his, and since
he didn't have time, and I did, well.... it just made sense!
The hardest part was getting the new firewall boot to seal... the rest was
pretty easy, except for the part where I was upside down, with my head under the
dash, when Mom opens the passenger side door... "Here, this will let more
light in there..."... about 30 feet away she was burning a brush pile, with
leaves and bark and stuff where they'd been splitting wood... 3 minutes later my
eyes start burning, and I start coughing... "MOM! *cough* SHUT THAT *cough* DAMN
*cough* DOOR!".... I couldn't help but laugh afterwards... she's always the
type that will try to help and ends up doing the wrong thing... another
example... I'm under the dash and she walks up and wants to talk... I either work, or
talk, but not both... I said "Mom, don't talk to me right now, wait until I'm
done, ok?" "OK" she says... then she says "I think I need to feed the
chickens... are you thirsty? Look, there's that woodpecker! Here, let me get you a
blanket to rest on so you don't get dirt in your hair...." and it went on and
on! Thank God I got the car fixed quickly.... and then I took it for a test
drive... THAT was a sight! This car was not made for someone of my height or shoe
size... one foot covered 2 pedals, 1st gear was where my leg was, and the
steering wheel was tight against my left leg... and then I shut the door!
Well, I fixed it, drove it a mile, and turned around... found 1st, 2nd, and
either 3rd or 5th... and reverse... he'll be happy to be getting his 45+MPG out
of his Rat instead of driving the 87 Ford F100 with the 300/6...
On the way home some truckers sent a horn blast my way... they must have been
telling each other about me while I was heading their way...
All in all it was a very fun and productive day... and the 69 didn't give me
a problem at all..... tomorrow I will get back to the job here at hand...
listing more stuff on eBay, and getting an inventory of what tools I have....
Anyway, I wanted to share that with you guys.
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg,
1963 Greenbrier 110/4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg