<VV> LM rain gutter trim

Nick Elzinga starship at worldonline.co.za
Tue Apr 25 16:45:48 EDT 2006

Yip, I had this problem, but not because of any rust.  Some idiot had pried
the original trims off at some point to paint the car and had thoroughly
mangled them.  I tried for 12 years to find another set, but bear in mind
that I am in Cape Town, South Africa where Corvairs are seldom, if ever,
seen.  With the advent of internet the first thing I did was look for parts,
but there wasn't much to be found.  I left it for a couple of years and then
in 2001 I discovered ebay and found someone who was stripping a 65 Corsa in
Wisconsin.  I bought a wiring harness from him for the Corsa dash I intend
to install and asked if he had the gutter trims available.  He did and his
were perfect and after getting advice on VV as to how best to remove them I
e-mailed him with the instructions.  He got them off with no damage and
built me an elaborate wooden crate in which he then posted them to me.  They
arrived in perfect order and motivated me to proceed with the restoration of
my 65 Monza.  I subsequently found another set on ebay which I bought for
around $20, but I note that the one has an ugly mark on it which the seller
did not bother to say anything about.  Be that as it may, gutter trims do
come up for sale on ebay from time to time, but I would suggest you ask one
of the Corvair breakers yards - perhaps the Corvair Ranch?  I'm sure they,
or someone else, must be able to help you out with a set.

Nick