<VV>Turboglides in 1959 NO CORVAIR

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Apr 26 21:36:40 EDT 2006

>Then too in the late 50's was the infamous Turboglide which I had in my 59
>Impala convertible land yacht.  It was like the Buick Dynaflow and
>featured an infinite number of gears!

Just tried to find specifics but no-go. My memory of the Turboglide was
that was a non-automatic version of the powerglide that was all torque
converter, maybe several torque converters. At the time the Cruise-O-Matic
in Thunderbirds had a setting that would always began in second. The
planetary gearset was designed to provide a ratio that, unlike the PG, was
low enough to provide engine compression braking on a steep hill at low
speeds. It was not designed for acceleration and required manual selection.

Keep in mind that a luxury car of the time was so smooth you did not feel
the shifts. For fifty years the American idea was to get into top as soon
as possible and stay there.  The cheap way to achieve that was to design a
transmission that didn't shift and big inch American engines with 3.xx:1
axles had enough torque to pull it off. Meanwhile those that did have gears
looked for ways to shift less (like starting in second). Gas was under 20
cents a gallon if you looked so economy was for people with stick
shifts.  Interstates were still a dream of Ike's so most speed limits were
65 or less. There were people who never drove over 45. You just did not
need a lot of gears.

Padgett