<VV> 1959 Impala - Grade Retard - NO CORVAIR

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Apr 27 01:11:56 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/26/2006 8:44:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
corvairduval at cox.net writes:

>  'Grade retard' on the Turboglide wasn't a lower gear; it worked sorta
>  like the reverse thrusters on a jet engine to slow it down on landing.
> I forget exactly how it worked, but it was a braking action, not a
> lower gear.

That was needed to compensate for the Drum brakes still prevalent on all
American big cars at the time. Downshifting - (or GR in this case) - was needed
to preserve the brakes on downhill highway stretches. I remember my fathers 59
 Impala 4-door fully loaded with the family on various driving trips. That
must have been a handful to stop! (it was PG equipped). -  Seth