<VV>PG

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Apr 27 16:17:35 EDT 2006

>Powerglide effectively amounts to a three speed minus the three speed's
>low gear, its sort of like
>driving around in second and third gear from a modern 3 speed with low
>locked out.

I disagree. PG amounts to a three speed minus *second* gear. Just about
every three speed automatic  I know (OK not a slim jim) will do 40-50 in L,
just the same as L in a Covair PG. Starting in second (we had a '61 T-bird
in normal flatland operation, started in second) is entirely different.
Don't think I have ever had a three-speed auto that did less than 70 in
second which made it a nice passing gear.

One thing I am curious about is how much multiplication are you getting
when floored in Drive at 2500 rpm (50 mph with 3.55) ? Doesn't seem to be
much change in engine speed but I have no tach. Could someone with a PG let
me know what the floored but no downshift RPM is at 50 or 55 and what the
axle ratio is please?

Padgett