<VV> PG

Wade Halsey hihal at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 28 11:14:01 EDT 2006

Padgett wrote:
> Suspect your tach may be reading a little low but it
> was the difference I was interested in.
>
> you give up an effective passing gear with the two speed
> since not getting much multiplication after it shifts---
> too bad that the switch-pitch was never an option.

It is definitely possible that the 40 year old tach reads a little low, but remember that
monitoring two analog gauges while maintaining a steady speed, and then glancing at the gauges a
second time while accelerating won't result in precise numbers. For instance, my tach reading at
55 MPH should have been 2750, not 2700 to correspond with the 2500 RPMs at 50 MPH. Also, the
205/75 14 (26.1 diameter) tire size results in a reduction of rear axle ratio to about 3.40 or so.

I have other Corsa tachs and I'll try one of them the next time I have the instrument panel out
for some reason. I also used the Craig Nicol oil pressure gauge idea in place of the old vacuum
  gauge. That is a very worthwhile project! I would like to work a volt meter into the cluster
next-----

Wade Halsey