<VV> fixing a noisy lifter?

Ray Rodriguez reray at echoes.net
Fri Apr 28 14:21:10 EDT 2006

     My 66 500 coupe (95 horse/pg) developed lifter noise a few months back.  This is a rather loud "ticking" noise that sounds like it is probably only one lifter.  I haven't yet gotten involved in the inner workings of a corvair engine and have no idea where to start to fix this.  I'm hoping to just partially drop the engine (i did this to change a harmonic balancer years ago on my first vair) and straighten it out.

     Any advice and instructions on how to solve this problem would be very much appreciated.  I have no tech manual so I'm just staring at the car and scratching my head with a wrench in my hand.

     Also please note that the car is making a "whirring/humming" noise that I believe could be the cooling fan bearings, and that the heater blower seems to have just failed last week.  Are these jobs that I should take care of all at the same time?  I don't even know where the heater blower is located!

Thanks much!

Ray Rodriguez
CORSA
66 500 PG Coupe