<VV> Stuck on Stalls

TimogensTurbo at aol.com TimogensTurbo at aol.com
Sat Apr 29 00:01:29 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/28/06 8:46:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time, n3lkz at yahoo.com
writes:

> To me a stall indicates a no-go condition or a bad aerodynamic condition
> that leads to very bad things. I know from experience that the Corvair's
> forward movement isn't halted when the torque converter apparently stalls. So,
> what's going on inside there?

---

AHH you kids!!! ggg   A long time ago..... drag racers had to "Power brake"
an automatic car to get it to JUMP when the race started!...later as cubic $$$
became available..special convertors with HIGH  Stall SPEEDS  were invented!

"STALL"  is when the engine can no longer overpower the "SLIP" in the fluid
coupling [ convertor]  and the engine stops accelerating...and of course the
car starts moving...

In stock form / regular driving....approx 900-1100 rpms....so you never feel
any slip!

A high stall convertor when driven easily....will allow the engine to rev to,
say, 3500 rpms before the car wants to move... a real pain when trying to
parallell park!  ggg

Matt Nall