<VV> Dimmer switch

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Apr 30 04:29:06 EDT 2006

Just a not to those thinking about upgrading headlights.
I have stock incandescent high beams but have replaced the low beams with
H5006s but still 35 W. At after the Old Town do I found that I only had
high beams. Pulling the dimmer switch revealed quite a bit of melting of
the insulator and direty contacts. Jumpered the low beams on and came home.

Thoroughly cleaned the connectors with a wire brush, Tightened with needle
nose and reassembled. With high beans on, blue wire connector was hot.
Removed, cleaned some more and reconnected. Still hot (145F with low beams
and 170F with high). No wonder the insulator looked eaten.

Checked drop across switch with high beams on (35x2 +50x2)=190 watts, 15.8
amps at 12v  & found .08v drop so not much resistance in switch or
connectors. According to the manual the blue (feed) wire is supposed to be
a #14 but it sure feels smaller to me.

Two lessons here:
- ANY additional lighting will need a relay or parallel wiring.
- If it is an original dimmer/wiring (or do not know) it would be a good
idea to peel back the carpet and check the connections. They may need
cleaning/replacement.

Dirty contacts will produce Lucas headlights - off, dim, and flicker.

Padgett