<VV> where to get proper springs

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Sun Apr 30 23:07:57 EDT 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Ray Rodriguez wrote:
>    Where do you guys get springs now? I'm more interested in lower ride
height and stiffer springs, but will cut standard ones if neccesary for my
500 coupe.  The
> rears on that car need replacing, they are badly sagged, the front still
rides too high, so I can cut the existing ones.

Cutting springs if u can find them is one way but when u cut them the rate
goes up and may give u a ride harshness u do not want. You can have custom
springs made for less than the ones available. Coil Spring Specialties in
Saint Mary's, KS did mine for about $60 ea.

The Chevy restroation guide gives GM original data for front springs:

         Old part number: 3857688
         Wire dia: 0.447
         ID: 3.453
         Free height: 12.574
         Spring rate: 130 #/in
         Working height at load: 6.42in at 800#

CSS has the data too and u can have them make u a set that will give u a
ride height you want with the same GM spring rate. Thus car rides as
original but lower.

I have attached a writeup I did for Performance Workshop that has a fuller
explation of how to determine what springs u want for any situation.
VV will probably strip it off but if others wish it they can email me with
a request. Hope this helps.

regards,

frank parker
ns vair