<VV> Rookie Driver

JRVIDRINE at aol.com JRVIDRINE at aol.com
Sat Dec 2 09:35:47 EST 2006

Folks,

When I was a rookie driver (18 year old soldier with a brand new 63 Monza
102 hp w/ 4spd), my first modification was to change the exhaust to a dual
exhaust setup.  I really can't remember where I got it, possibly a local  auto
parts house, but I do remember changing it on the cold concrete of my  mothers
garage.

Once I had done that and the glass packs had burnt to a mellow sound, I
would downshift on slowing,  not for the braking effect, but for the  beautiful
rattle that the duals made.

One of my best friends was from Chickamauga, GA and we would go there from
Ft. Bragg, North Carolina every chance we got (3 or 4 day weekends).  My
favorite part of the trip was to go through the tunnel under Missionary Ridge at
Chattanooga (repeatedly - back and forth) and downshifting to hear the mufflers
 bark and rattle.

Even though I'm a lot older, I still enjoy the remembrance of that.  I  did
have some problems with the 4 speed transmission's 3rd to 4th gear
synchronizers, but I think (know) that was speed shifting not  downshifting.

Wasn't trying to save the brakes, just enjoying the noise
Randy Vidrine
62 Monza Coupe