<VV> question on main bearings

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Dec 3 11:36:52 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/3/2006 8:34:27 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
ericmpholz at verizon.net writes:

I  noticed something weird on the main bearings.
1/2 of one outside main and  1/2 of one center main bearing has a .001 sized
bearing in it.  All of  the other pieces are std.  Why would the general do
this?  All of  the bearings look good, not worn much at all.  I think that
I'll have  to send the crank in for inspection of size, but these .001 halves
have me  baffled.
Input please!

Thanks,
Eric  Holz

Eric,
This was standard Corvair practice at the factory. Many engines came this
way. Apparently machining tolerances on the crankcase were such that this was
done to get proper clearances for the crank journals.

Regards,
Bob Helt