<VV> Shoft Knobz

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Dec 5 22:25:43 EST 2006

>  Is the white shift knob a GM creation that Hurst copied/used?
>  Did hurst originally make the white knob and GM used it for the Corvair?

I doubt it, keep in mind that in the early 60's, the common 4-speed was the
Borg Warner T-10 and it used a rather spindly shift lever. I recall a '63
Avanti that had a white shift knob that was almost identical to the
Corvair. It wasn't until the Muncies appeared in 1964 that shifters became
beefier probably because the drag racers were bending them (and blowing
many which led to the redesign of the Muncie for 1966 which was much
stronger.).

Ever since 1970, my preference has been for the Hurst T-Handle which
properly tilted at a 30 degree angle seems to fit the hand perfectly.

Of course to really get into it, which years of what knobs had open "4"s
and which had closed.

Padgett