<VV> LM a/c in a turbo

Brent Covey brentcovey at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 10 12:16:27 EST 2006

I've seen a tidy a/c system on a 1966 Turbo using the 1966-'67 style
condensor mounted in the air intake plenum, which didnt require very large
modifications to the car body and looks pretty factory when done. He had
just cut out the baffle that catches debris ahead of the engine compartment
air intakes. The rest of the a/c was regular 110HP style parts, low mount
compressor etc.

The system worked good and with the high 850 rpm idle speed of the turbo no
speed solenoid was needed. I would not expect any significant added heat
issues with the turbo and a/c combo, the times the a/c gets the engine hot
is the times the engine runs coolest, i.e. traffic and idling, the increase
in head and engine comp temps at turnpike speeds is very modest even in
extremely hot weather, although I could imagine the heat soak-hard starting
on a hot engine stuff may be worse a little.

Mrs (Harley) Earl's 1960 convertible had air conditioning with a turbo
engine, perhaps some photos exist that might be some guidance to how GM
matched the two together- I dont recall seeing anything in the images in the
Corsa Communique ~1990 that showed the two together but the condensor was
engine lid mounted prior to the turbo engine being added and may have been
after as well.

Brent Covey