<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 23, Issue 26

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Tue Dec 12 20:39:38 EST 2006

Regarding the Bilstein responses, I installed one of them tonight into my 64
Spyder convertible.  The fit is perfect but I need to address some of the
suggestions that were posted to verify and eliminate myths.  (1) The part
number of the Bilstein Sport for Corvette application is F4-B36-0222-H0. The
heavy duty part number is the 0946. (2) These shocks are about one inch
longer overall than the Clark Gabriel Red Ryders that they are replacing.
The shock body is about a half inch longer. The diameter is SMALLER than the
Gabriel so any advice that the hole must be torched and ground up is
erroneous. The diameter of the piston is probably a little over an inch and
the diameter of the body is about 1.3 inches. (3) My car is leaf sprung
being a 64 but this gas pressurized application will increase downward
pressure on the A-arm on most non-leafsprung cars as Smitty indicated.
Therefore, the increased length of the shaft could "make Ralph right"
because the travel of the arm could increase "tuck under". (4) The bolt
holes are set apart perfectly, bolt without binding and slots are absolutely
unnecessary. (5) The 64 rear springs are dismal compared to any modern car
but upon jouncing the car, the springs stop oscillating in two cycles as
opposed to about four on the Gabriel Red Ryder side. Admittedly the shocks
are used but those are not worn out with about 25,000 miles on them. (6) The
instructions are poor as to what each part does and I wondered about having
an extra piece so I installed it between the rubber cushions under the
spring hat.  Uses a 17 mm lock nut on the shaft. (7) The installation was
comparable to installing gas shocks on other Corvairs I have owned. Any
other questions?
Crawford Rose