<VV> Houston - we have a problem!!! Corvair related

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Dec 13 17:34:07 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/13/2006 2:50:46 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
ilikeoldcars at bellsouth.net writes:

We got  about 5 miles down the road and I looked in my rear view mirror  and
there was smoke coming from the engine compartment.  Looked at my dash  and
the GEN light was bright red.  I immediately turned the engine off  and coasted
to a stop.  I got out and checked the engine compartment and  sure enough the
belt had come loose.  I just checked it yesterday and it  had very little
play.  I didn't have any tools with me so I had a tow  truck bring it home.

My question is this? Did I damage my motor?  Why would the belt have come
loose if it was tight yesterday?  What  should I do now?

Hi Roger,
Sorry to hear about your problem. I suggest that you just replace the belt
and drive the car for a while. That will tell you of the engine condition. Most
 likely it will be all right.

But I do have a couple of concerns. When you checked the tightness of  the
belt, did you also check the belt's condition too? Frayed or twisted belts
should be checked and replaced. Tightness isn't always a measure of the belt's
remaining life.

Was the belt really just loose when this happened? That is...was the belt
still in place on the pulleys then? That is what your statement tells me. If
that is true, then I suspect the tension adjustment  pulley and bracket  were
not tightened down properly. Something to check. Most of the time belts are
just thrown.

Also, the #1 rule for Corvair drivers is to ALWAYS carry a spare belt (or
two) and the tools to change it. You never know when a belt will go, and you
need to be prepared.

There are several causes for thrown belts, if that was your problem. If
so,then check for a bad blower bearing by rotating the blower-fan with your
finger (no belt installed) and watching how it comes to a stop (both  directions).
If it slows slowly and comes to a smooth stop, it's probably OK.  But if it
stops fast or rotates backwards after stopping, the the bearing is  probably bad.

Lastly, you said the GEN dash lite was on. The TEMP one should have been on
too. That's another problem........

Regards,
Bob Helt