<VV> Houston - we have a problem!!! Corvair related

Norm Witte norman.witte at comcast.net
Wed Dec 13 21:45:32 EST 2006

There are a few common reasons for Vairs to throw belts.  Belt too tight is a possibility.  Rusty pullies can do it, but from the description of the car I don't think that is likely.  Another possiblity is that the harmonic balancer may be failing.  You might get with Bob and find out whether or when it was replaced, if he knows.  If the harmonic balancer hasn't been replaced, it would not be a bad idea to do that soon.  It has a vulcanized rubber core that holds together the two metal parts and after so many years that rubber fails.

Something else to consider.

--
Norm Witte
DeWitt, Michigan

The Internet: a fantastic new technology that combines the accuracy of fourth-hand hearsay with the excitement of typing.

From: "J R Read_HML" <hmlinc at sbcglobal.net>