[Fwd: Re: <VV> Brake light Conundrum?]

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Dec 14 12:03:02 EST 2006

Direct message bounced.
Bill
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Brake light Conundrum?
Date: 	Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:40:23 -0500
From: 	Bill Elliott <corvair at fnader.com>
To: 	LastHamlet <lasthamlet at yahoo.com>

Yes, it is possible to have a bad ground and everything else work... but
you can easily test this. Run a test lead from the ground on the light
to the negative batteru cable. This completely removes the ide of haing
a bad chassis ground. (Alternatively you can use a test light with the
negative clipped to the negative terminal to directly test for power at
the socket. If the light works in this case, it's the ground.

However, it's also common for the turn signal switch itself to be
worn/broken... there are little copper contacts down in the switch...
these are the ones which make up the "logic" circuit that turns off the
brake light on the side the turnsignal is swithced to... which in most
cases can be cleans/rebent to make good contact... but you have to pull
the hweel to get to them. Only go there if you can confirm you have good
ground but no power at the socket.

Bill