<VV> Fuel Pressure Question (Newby 2 Corvairs)

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 16 01:37:21 EST 2006

C.I.T. (Comments in Text)

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Zane Brock
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 10:09 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Fuel Pressure Question (Newby 2 Corvairs)

Good morning from Atlanta, GA. I am working on my son's 63 Monza, original
carbs, new points, plugs and electric fuel pump. I finally got the @#$@#%
thing to crank at 8 deg and then had to turn the distributor all the way to
the coil to get it to level off.

>>Sounds like you need to move the wires over one tower on the cap...

She is spitting out of the primary carb after running for a short time and
then seems to not be idling high enough then dies off.

>>You've checked the float level, and the chokes are both working?  Are the
carb isolators in place? (Any chance you're boiling the gas, because you
would w/o them)  They're black spacers about 1/4" thick between the heads
and the carbs.

 What is the usual pressure for a 63 Monza and is there anywhere that I can
get a solid idea of the HP on this model, 102 or 110? Thanks guys.

>>Fuel pressure for a 'vair motor is around 3lbs.

>>The engine block code will tell you if it's a 102 or a 110.  It's stamped
on the block just in front (towards the front of the car) of the oil filler
neck.  It's the last one or two letters that matter.  The other things to
look for are the crankshaft pulley, is it one or two piece?  A one piece
pulley can indicate a 145ci engine, although some owners of later motors
with failed two piece harmonic balancers have been known to throw the solid
pulleys one.  For a '63 the original motor would have been a 145ci motor.
The other things to check are the distributor # and the cylinder head
numbers.  You might be able to read part of the cyl # by opening the drivers
side damper door and peeking upwards.

Regards,
Joel

Zane Brock